Jul 26, 2011
Healthy Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream
That’s right… a healthy chocolate ice cream! And it was an accident too… I was originally trying to make truffles, but the chocolate mixture never firmed up properly. At least I got something else out of the attempt
Truffles are naturally made with only 2 ingredients: chocolate and heavy cream.
I wanted to omit the heavy cream, so I made a healthy alternative using soymilk and protein powder, which creates a thick and creamy texture similar to heavy cream.
This is the unsweetened vanilla soymilk and blender cup I use:
This is the protein powder I use (I got it from Whole Foods):
And the protein powder nutrition facts:
Healthy Homemade Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream with only 5 ingredients! (high protein)
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Soymilk
- 60g (2 scoops) Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 6oz 90% Cacao Chocolate, melted in a large bowl
- 63g (3 tbs) Honey (or Pure Maple Syrup, Agave, etc.)
- 5-15 drops Stevia Extract (or to taste)
- Add the soymilk and protein powder into a shaker cup and shake until the protein powder is absorbed (it should be creamy).
- Add two spoonfuls of the soymilk mixture into the melted chocolate and stir.
- Pour more of the soymilk mixture (about half) into the chocolate mixture and stir again.
- Add the rest of the soymilk mixture and the honey to the chocolate mixture and stir.
- Put the bowl in the fridge for ~30 minutes, then put it in the freezer until it is frozen.
- Bring the bowl out of the freezer 10 minutes before eating to soften, enjoy!
Do NOT microwave the protein powder and soymilk together, it bakes into a gross cake patty (ew)
This recipe is: low sugar, high fiber, high protein, gluten free
The ice cream melts pretty quickly, so scoop it into a cold bowl to slow the melting process… or just eat it like there’s no tomorrow
So share this with someone you love, or treat yourself to both servings.
I did… hehe