Feb 10, 2013
Healthy DIY Vanilla Sugar
Want to know a secret? Well here it is: Healthy DIY Vanilla Sugar!
It’s every baker’s secret weapon. Just like homemade vanilla bean paste
, DIY vanilla sugar is yet another ingredient that sets yourself apart from all the other bakers out there. It’s what makes your cupcakes, cakes, muffins and breads that
much better than the competition’s.
But, this Healthy DIY Vanilla Sugar has a secret. It has far less calories and carbs than storebought vanilla sugar, for the same great taste. So add it to your coffee, sprinkle some in your tea, and use it as a 1:1 replacement for sugar for a more flavorful baked good!
Healthy DIY Vanilla Sugar (made sugar free!)
- Put the erythritol in a pretty, sealable jar.
- Slice the vanilla beans in half, lengthwise, and scrape out the beans with a knife. Add to the erythritol.
- Chop the vanilla bean pods into 3" chunks and add to the jar. Shake the jar well, so that the beans are mixed throughout. Let sit for 1 week.
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl and strain the jar mixture. Gather the vanilla bean chunks and add to a food processor, along with 1/2 cup of the erythritol. Grind the mixture until the beans are completely ground up, then add back to the sugar jar.
- Add the rest of the erythritol to the jar and shake again. It's now ready to use!
Can you believe the difference? Can you believe how many calories you would save if you used this homemade vanilla sugar in place of the typical vanilla sugar (or any processed white sugar, for that matter)? Not to mention, you will save yourself from a terrible sugar-rush and sugar-crash.
So, make this Healthy DIY Vanilla Sugar ASAP! It’s incredibly delicious, shelf-stable and will make everything you bake worth it’s weight in gold! Seriously.