Mar 28, 2013
Healthy Funfetti Cupcakes and Donuts
Oh yeah, they are finally here. Healthy Funfetti Cupcakes and Donuts!
I had an unhealthy obsession with Funfetti as a child. In my eyes, a trip to the grocery store wasn’t a bothersome errand, it was more like an opportunity — what flavor cake mix was I going to get today??
While most girls rushed to the makeup aisle, I flew to the baking aisle. Vanilla cake mix, chocolate cake mix, strawberry cake mix, white cake, lemon cake, blah blah blah… OH YES, there’s the Funfetti!
eight two boxes and ran through the store to find my family.
Ah, the memories. But now that I am eating healthier these days I wanted to make this classic cake mix without the bleached flour, refined sugar and trans fats. This recipe can be made into both cupcakes and donuts, both are incredibly flavorful, buttery and moist!
Healthy Funfetti Cupcakes and Donuts (all natural, gluten free, vegan)
For the Cupcakes/Donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line 13 cupcake tins with paper or parchment liners or spray donut pans with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, almond milk, vanilla, butter extract, stevia extract and almond flavor.
- Slowly add the dry to wet while stirring and fold the batter together. Last, gently fold the sprinkles into the batter and scoop the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for ~20-21 minutes, or until the surface springs back when tapped.
- Transfer the cupcakes/donuts to a wire cooling rack and let cool while you make the frosting.
For the Frosting:
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. Scoop into a piping bag and frost the cupcakes! (For the donuts, add 1-3 tsp more almond milk to thin out the frosting and drizzle it over the donuts)
**I used a vanilla almond yogurt sweetened with fruit juice only, not sugar. However, this yogurt company went under and is no longer in production :( ... you can use whatever yogurt you like -- coconut, soy, dairy, etc., just make sure it doesn't have any sugar added!
Make funfetti cupcakes or donuts at home and save yourself some calories, fat and carbs. Not to mention, the homemade version contains zero hydrogenated oils, white sugar and artificial dyes!
Delicious! Now I have a healthy Funfetti obsession 🙂