Apr 5, 2013
Healthy Funfetti Sugar Cookies
Sugar Cookies! I am obsessed. I have baked my healthified sugar cookies three times in the last two weeks because every batch gets gobbled up as if shoving them in our faces were our jobs.
I was dying to use my homemade rainbow sprinkles in a batch of cookies and thought that sugar cookies would make a great duo — Funfetti Sugar Cookies! These are awesome, they are soft and chewy and sweet and toootally addicting. I think I’ll be on my fifth and sixth batch of cookies in no time…
Healthy Funfetti Sugar Cookies (all natural, gluten free, vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and place the 1/3 cup of rainbow sprinkles in a bowl and into the freezer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oat flour, brown rice flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, erythritol, vanilla, stevia, butter extract and almond flavor.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the egg replacer and almond milk. Add the shortening and microwave for 15-20 seconds, or until the shortening is very soft (the egg replacer will foam slightly)
- Pour the egg replacer/shortening mixture into the large bowl with the other wet ingredients and whisk together (if you used cold almond milk, like I did, the mixture should look slightly curdled from the shortening beginning to harden, but the shortening should still be soft, not be rock hard)
- Slowly stir the dry into the wet and fold together (it should be very light and fluffy, it doesn't really look like cookie dough).
- Take the sprinkles out of the freezer and roll the dough into balls, dip each ball into the sprinkles, press your thumb into the sprinkles so they are emerged into the ball, then roll back into a ball.
- Place the balls on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for ~11 minutes (do not overbake!)
- Transfer cookies onto a wire cooling rack
These cookies will last for a few days, but look the best when they are fresh on the day they are made. The sprinkles' colors fade away :(
This recipe is: eggless, low fat, low sugar, gluten free, vegan!
Here’s a nutrition label comparison between Pillsbury sugar cookies + Mr. Sprinkles springs and my homemade sugar cookies with homemade sprinkles. The Desserts with Benefits nutrition label is on the right:
If you have two of the healthy funfetti sugar cookies you will save 120 calories, 5g fat and 24g of sugar! Plus, you get to skip the trans fats, refined sugar and bleached flour… and you won’t even know the difference, these cookies are THAT good.