Mar 17, 2013
Healthy Green Velvet Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!
To make this cake, all I did was copy my Red Velvet Cake recipe and swap a few ingredients.
Tee hee, I’m a cheater 😉
Super moist, flavorful and delicious, no need to be put off by the color. This recipe is perfect for Saint Patrick’s Day!
Green Velvet Layer Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and generously spray two 6" cake pans with cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer bowl with beater attachment, add the egg whites, almond milk, erythritol, oil and extracts.
- In a small blender, add the applesauce, spinach and lemon juice and blend until smooth. Stir in the food coloring and cocoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oat flour, brown rice flour, starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Turn the mixer on low and add the blender mixture, then add the vinegar.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and slowly add in the dry ingredients. When all is incorporated, whip batter on medium-high speed for 20 seconds (batter should be thin/pourable).
- Pour batter in the two prepared pans and bake for ~41 minutes, or until the surface is round and springs back when tapped. Let cakes cool in the pan for ~10 minutes, then flip onto a wire cooling rack.
- When cakes are mostly cooled (mine were still a tiny bit warm), wrap them in plastic wrap and leave them at room temperature overnight. Frost the next day (I leveled the cakes and used the crumbles as a topping)
For the Frosting:
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the yogurt and shortening. Microwave at 15-second intervals, stirring between each one, until shortening is very soft (do not heat the mixture too much!).
- Stir in the powdered vanilla "sugar" and then the powdered erythritol.
**I used a vanilla almond yogurt sweetened with fruit juice only, not sugar. However, this yogurt company went under and is no longer in production :( ... you can use whatever yogurt you like -- coconut, soy, dairy, etc., just make sure it doesn't have any sugar added!
This recipe is: high fiber, high protein, gluten free!