May 20, 2013
Healthy Microwaveable Buckwheat Strawberry Shortcakes
Sometimes we just want something fancy schmancy to eat but without the time and effort. So I made these easy peasy Strawberry Buckwheat Shortcakes… in the microwave!
These beautiful, delicious (and secretly healthy) Strawberry Buckwheat Shortcakes take only five minutes to make and five minutes to “bake.” These shortcakes contain the healthiest of ingredients and are a real treat… and a treat without the guilt!
Healthy Microwaveable Buckwheat Strawberry Shortcakes (low fat, high protein, gluten free, vegan)
- 7g (1 tbs) Ground Flaxseed
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 62g (1/4 cup) Unsweetened Applesauce
- 4 packets Truvia (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 60g (1/2 cup) Buckwheat Flour*
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Strawberries, sliced
- Natural Whipped Cream (I used Soyatoo Rice Whip)
- Place 3 silicone cupcake molds (or molds of choice) on a plate for easy transfer.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flax and almond milk. Stir in the applesauce, truvia and salt.
- Stir in the buckwheat flour, then the baking powder. Scoop into the molds and microwave for about 4 minutes and 30 seconds, or until surface springs back when tapped. Remove cupcakes from molds and lay them on their sides, let cool slightly.
- Slice the strawberries.
- Slice each cupcake into 3 rounds. Place the first round down, top with whipped cream and strawberries, and repeat with the next cake round. Serve immediately.
*You can try this recipe with another flour if you like, but do not use oat flour... take it from me... you will get dense and rubbery cupcakes capable of bouncing off the floor.
This recipe is: low fat, low sugar, high fiber, high protein, gluten free, vegan!
Mmmm, three of these delicious cupcakes have only 280 calories, 6g of healthy fats, 15g of filling fiber and 12g of satiating complete protein!! These strawberry buckwheat cupcakes are so good for you that they qualify for breakfast. Plus, they will keep you full for hours.
Run to your microwave and enjoy!