Mar 3, 2012
Healthy Rum-Drenched Almond Pound Cake
So moist, delicate and tender. So sweet, warming and comforting. This cake was really spectacular.
I made this cake in the summer, but just a little different than my usual cakes as it was a thank-you gift for a neighbor who was not so much into “healthy food.” It contains a bit more sugar and a tad bit more butter extract, but I still managed to keep the recipe healthy and balanced as a whole.
It’s whole wheat, still reduced sugar and contains a bit of protein. Despite all that, it is ultra moist and the rum glaze grabs your taste buds’ attention right away!
Rum-Drenched Almond Pound Cake
- 240g (2 cups) Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 96g (1/2 cup) Pure Cane Sugar
- 2 tbs Arrowroot Starch
- 1+1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 112g (1/2 cup) Plain, Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 182g (2/5 package) Lite Silken Tofu
- 42g (3 tbs) Almond Oil (or any other neutral oil)
- 123g (1/2 cup) Unsweetened Applesauce
- 42g (2 tbs) Agave Nectar
- 2 tsp Stevia Extract
- 1 tbs Vanilla Extract
- 1+1/4 tsp Butter Extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 2-4 tbs Almond Rum Liqueur (use 4T if you want a stronger rum flavor, I used Guavaberry rum)
- 84g (4 tbs) Agave Nectar
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and spray your cake pan with cooking spray.
- Put wet ingredients into a blender and puree.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Pour the blender mixture onto the dry ingredients and fold gently (batter will be somewhat thick). Scoop batter into prepared pan and flatten the surface. Bake for 60-65 minutes, or when surface of cake springs back when touched.
For the Rum Glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk the two ingredients together until the mixture looks like a pure syrup
- When the cake is slightly warm to touch (not too hot or cold), "stab" the surface of the cake with a toothpick all over (don't get too dramatic though), and use a basting brush to coat the top of the cake with the glaze. When completely cooled, slice and serve.
This recipe is: low fat, high fiber!
I remember baking this cake and sharing it with my neighbor.
I remember eating this slice, smiling and relaxing.