Guilt Free Apple Pie… in an Apple!
Looking for a unique Apple Pie recipe? No need for fancy pie dishes or pie servers here… all you need are the apples themselves! These delicious Apple Pies are served in the apple. They’re so adorable and creative, you have to make them for yourself!
Thanks to Immaculate Baking Co. for sponsoring this post, and thank YOU for supporting the brands that keep Desserts With Benefits going! All opinions are mine and mine alone.
Who wouldn’t want apple pie served inside the apple it’s made from? How cool is that?!
I think it’s about time that Apple Pie is made a lil’ better for you, yes?
Let’s start with the crust. Instead of making pie crust with bleached flour and hydrogenated shortening, I used Immaculate Baking Co.’s Ready-to-Bake Rolled Pie Crust, which is made with unbleached, unbromated wheat flour.
Instead of sweetening the filling with white sugar or brown sugar, I used stevia extract. Everyone who tried these pies had no idea they were made without any added sugar. These little cutie pies were delicious and devoured immediately!
I am so glad I finally made these guilt-free, wholesome Apple Pies. These individual-serving pies are perfect for parties and get-togethers. And, let’s be real, this is the answer to those in need of some portion control 😉
I’m right there with ya.
Guilt Free Apple Pie... in an Apple!
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 Immaculate Baking Co. Ready-to-Bake Rolled Pie Crusts, thawed 30 minutes
- 7 Granny Smith Apples
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
Apple Pie Filling:
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1 tbs Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Stevia Extract
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Ground Cardamom
- ⅛ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp Salt
For the Pie Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Unroll the pie crusts onto your counter. Using a 4″ circle cookie cutter, punch circles out of one pie crust. With the other pie crust, slice 4x¼” strips using a sharp knife. You’ll need about 5 strips per apple, so make at least 35 of these strips.
- Firmly press the pie crust circles into ungreased muffin tin cups. Bake for 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer the baked pie crusts to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Apples:
- Slice the tops off of the apples. Discard the tops. Core the apples, being careful not to puncture the bottom of the apple. Discard the cores.
- Hollow the remaining apple flesh with a grapefruit spoon (leaving about ½” of apple flesh around the skin). Brush the hollowed apples with the lemon juice.
- Place the apples in the muffin tin cups so they stand upright. Bake for 20 minutes.
For the Apple Pie Filling:
- Peel and core the apple, then chop into small chunks. Add to a small bowl.
- To the bowl, add the lemon juice, stevia extract, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt. Stir together until completely combined.
- Gently press the baked and cooled pie crusts into the baked apples. Fill the pie crusts with the apple pie filling.
- Arrange the pie crust strips in a lattice fashion over each apple. Gently press the lattice ends on the apple to seal. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the lattice is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly, then serve warm!
Inspired by Tiny Urban KitchenAll images and text © .
This 100% guilt-free recipe is incredibly unique — a definite show-stopper and crowd-pleaser!
It’s. Absolute. Deliciousness.
With love and good eats,