Healthy Boozy Orange Pound Cake
The holidays are upon us, and that means I’m going to try some new twists on recipes and infuse a ton of desserts with alcohol (wink wink). I’m kicking (the liquored up) things off with this Boozy Orange Pound Cake!
Oh, and did I mention that it’s National Liqueur Day today too? Oh yes. This recipe is the POIFECT thing to celebrate.
This Boozy Orange Pound Cake is firm and sturdy, yet also soft and spongy, and slices cleanly. It’s not dry or crumbly like many pound cakes out there. This perfectly sweet cake is full of refreshing orange flavor, it’s hard to believe it’s made without the white sugar, butter, excess oil, and white flour. One bite and you’ll swear it can’t be low sugar, high protein, high fiber, and 100% whole wheat!
And did I mention it’s drenched in a boozy syrup? Ohhhh yeah.
Because boozy cake is what happens when I go to a liquor store and impulsively buy Grand Marnier. I also bought bourbon and rum but haven’t made anything with those… YET 😉
Satisfy your dessert cravings with this Boozy Orange Pound Cake. No need to deprive yourself of treats this holiday season, especially when this cake is around. It’s sweet and buttery, even without the sugar and butter, so you won’t miss those classic traits that are characteristic to typical, unhealthy desserts.
While I wanted this cake to be infused with orange liqueur, I also didn’t want it to be overpowering and make your throat burn going down. This is a dessert, after all, not a shot. The boozy soaking syrup isn’t super strong and alcohol-y, it’s got the perfect ratio of sweet and risqué.
This Boozy Orange Pound Cake tastes like the real deal. Every bite is packed with a sweet, buttery, orange essence, which is enhanced with the boozy soaking syrup.
Your conscience will tell you to eat another slice. Always listen to your conscience!
Healthy Boozy Orange Pound Cake
- 240g (2 cups) Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 35g (¼ cup) Organic Corn Starch
- 32g (⅓ cup) Unflavored Whey Protein Powder
- 1½ tsp Double-Acting Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 369g (1½ cups) Unsweetened Applesauce
- 114g (½ cup) Plain, Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 2 large Eggs
- 56g (¼ cup) Grapeseed Oil
- 48g (¼ cup) Granulated Erythritol
- 1 tbs Vanilla Crème-Flavored Stevia Extract
- 2 tsp Natural Butter Flavor
- 2 tsp Orange Zest
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 84g (¼ cup) Agave Nectar
- 2 tbs Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur)
For the Pound Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9×5″ loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, starch, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer bowl fitted with a beater attachment, add the applesauce, yogurt, eggs, oil, erythritol, stevia, butter flavor, and zest. Mix on low speed until smooth and even.
- Dump the dry ingredients into the stand mixer bowl and mix until ALMOST combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix one more time, JUST until the batter is even.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for ~55 minutes, or until the surface forms a brown crust and springs back when tapped.
For the Soaking Syrup:
- In a small bowl, stir together the agave and liqueur.
- Brush this over the pound cake and let it soak in completely. Let cool completely, then slice and serve! Keeps for ~1 week in a tightly sealed container in the fridge.
For how decadent this recipe is, I am super, super pleased with this nutrition label. So um, yes, I’ll take a couple slices, thanks.
Why indulge in excess calories, fat, sugar, and overly processed treats when you can have this WAY better version?? No need for the 4 sticks of butter, 3 cups of sugar, and 8 egg yolks (typical pound cake ingredients) here!
With love and good eats,