Healthy Caramel Apples
Why should you make these Healthy Caramel Apples? Because:
- They’re damn delicious.
- They taste just like the caramel apples you’d get from a bakery.
- They’re made without the white sugar, corn syrup, cream, and butter.
- SURPRISE! THEY’RE ALSO VEGAN!
- Ummm, it’s Friday… treat yo’self.
If you’re all about that Caramel Apple lyfe but corn syrup and butter ain’t your thang, then the stars aligned and these were surely made for you.
But really now, who wouldn’t want a sweet, crunchy apple coated in rich, sticky caramel?
A deranged person, that’s who.
These are so addicting you’d NEVER suspect they’re refined sugar free (yup, no corn syrup whatsoever!), dairy free, and vegan.
Healthy Caramel Apples
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, coconut oil, and salt. Set aside.
- In a 2- or 3-quart saucepan, add the maple syrup, water, sucanat, and erythritol. Do not stir. Add a candy thermometer to the pan and place over medium-high heat.
- Without stirring, let the mixture come to a boil. When it reaches 250 degrees Fahrenheit, whisk in the set aside coconut milk/oil mixture.
- Let the mixture come to a boil again. When it reaches 266 degrees Fahrenheit, remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Let cool slightly while you prepare the apples.
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and reserve a spot for the pan in the fridge. Place the apples on the pan and pierce cake pop sticks or popsicle sticks where the stems used to be.
- One at a time, dip the apples into the thick caramel. Let most of the excess caramel drip off, then place the apples back on the cookie sheet. Refrigerate until firm, then serve and enjoy!
Store the caramel apples in the fridge for up to 5 days. If your apples have been sufficiently chilled, let them sit at room temp for ~5 minutes or so for the caramel to soften. Don’t wanna break your teeth! 😉
This is the perfect recipe for the holidays (or any time, actually… les be real). Everyone who tried these Healthy Caramel Apples said they “LOVED” them. One particular taste tester said gnawing away at it reminded her of her childhood 🙂
THAT JUST WARMS MY WEE LITTLE HEART!
With love and good eats,