Healthy Grapefruit Yogurt Cake… Baked in a Grapefruit!
This Healthy Grapefruit Yogurt Cake is super moist, soft, delicate, sweet, and full of that refreshing grapefruit flavor. You’d never know it’s refined sugar free, low carb, high protein, high fiber, gluten free, and keto-friendly too!
Instead of typical cake recipes, which are made with bleached white flour, highly refined white sugar, and lots of butter, this version is made with healthier swaps. Instead of white flour, we’ve got coconut flour — a super high fiber and nutritious ingredient made from coconuts (shocker 😉). Instead of white sugar, we’ve got a combination of all natural erythritol and organic stevia extract. Instead of butter or oil, we’ve got a mix of applesauce and yogurt — two healthy ingredients that also act as an butter/oil replacer in baked goods! And, finally, just to amp of the cake flavor, we’ve got a little bit of grapefruit zest. Yum!
Yes, for realz. This cake was baked INSIDE of a real grapefruit!
One bite of this Grapefruit Yogurt Cake and you’ll be addicted.
Healthy Grapefruit Yogurt Cake... Baked in a Grapefruit!
- 3 Grapefruits (2 for the cakes, 1 for zesting)
- 56g (½ cup) Coconut Flour
- 48g (¼ cup) Granulated Erythritol (or dry sweetener of choice)
- ¾ tsp Double-Acting Baking Powder
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 82g (⅓ cup) Unsweetened Applesauce
- 80g (⅓ cup) Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 57g (¼ cup) Plain, Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp, packed, Grapefruit Zest
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ tsp Liquid Stevia Extract
- ½ tsp Natural Butter Flavor
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a jelly roll pan with foil. Place 2 mini tart molds on the pan.
- Slice the tops off of 2 grapefruits (slice the top ¼ off).
- Using a spoon, swirl inside the grapefruit to separate the segments from the pith. Scoop the fillings into a bowl (snack on it while you make the cake!). Use a spoon to get any other portions of the filling out (be careful not to scrape off the pith).
- Place the empty grapefruits into the mini tart molds so that they stand upright.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, erythritol, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, milk, yogurt, eggs, zest and extracts. Whisk vigorously until the entire mixture is even.
- Dump the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and whisk vigorously so that there are no clumps. When the mixture is even, carefully pour the batter into the grapefruit molds. It should fill up about half of the grapefruits, but don't worry, it'll rise to the top as it bakes.
- Bake for ~65 minutes, or until the surface of the cakes spring back when tapped. Let cool completely. Slice the grapefruits in half and serve!
If you want to serve this cake with an icing, this Vanilla Bean Icing is THE way to go!
With love and good eats,