Feb 28, 2014
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies
These secretly healthy Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies are so fudgy, rich, decadent and sweet that you’d never know they’re sugar free, high protein, gluten free, vegan and made without butter!
While these cookies kind of look like giant plops (yes, I’ll admit it) they sure don’t taste like it… these are SUPER chocolatey, INCREDIBLY peanut buttery, TOTALLY addicting and PERFECTLY sweet. Oh, and they’re huge and fudgy and amazing. I’m not sure if you can tell from the pictures but these jumbo cookies are like the size of your palms (my friend called them “giant volcano cookies” haha)
Seriously, you need to make these cookies right now. They’ll be gone in no time. That’s not a problem though, they’re low calorie, low fat and 100% healthy.
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies (sugar free, gluten free, vegan)
For the Fudgy Chocolate Cookie Dough:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with Silpats.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the quinoa flour, erythritol, peanut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, applesauce, stevia and vanilla.
- Dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir the mixture very well (it should look like "drop cookie" dough, kind of like a mix between thick cookie dough and muffin batter).
For the Fudgy Peanut Butter Filling:
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the peanut flour and packeted sweetener.
- Pour in the almond milk and stir together (the dough will be very thick)
- Separate the peanut butter dough into 9 equal-sized pieces and roll into balls.
For the Cookie Assembly:
- Spoon 9 tablespoons of the Fudgy Chocolate Cookie Dough onto the prepared cookie sheets (I put five spoonfuls on one pan and four spoonfuls on the other pan)
- Place the 9 Peanut Butter Balls over the Chocolate Cookie Dough spots.
- Spoon the Chocolate Cookie Dough over the Peanut Butter Balls and smooth out with a spoon. Spread the cookie dough around the ball so that the ball is completely enclosed. Tap the pan on the counter a couple times to help smooth the surface)
- Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes, or until soft and the surface is no longer wet/doughy looking.
- Carefully remove the Silpats off the cookie sheets and let cool on the counter.
- INDULGE (sinlessly)!
This recipe is: gluten free, eggless, vegan, sugar free, low fat, high fiber and high protein!
Today is the perfect day to bake up some healthy cookies.
(But really now, when is there a wrong time to make cookies?? Never.)
I’ve been wanting to make these cookies for so long now it’s crazy. I think I first saw the original recipe four years ago. They looked so delicious but they weren’t healthy… like, at all. I finally changed that with this recipe, though, and to prove it to you I made a little nutrition label comparison below.
The original recipe’s nutrition label is on the left, the Desserts with Benefits nutrition label is on the right:
These super rich and fudgy Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies are like the epitome of a secretly healthy dessert! No butter, no oil, no sugar and no white flour… it’s totally okay to eat more than one. I did, and I don’t feel bad about it ONE. BIT.
This is as good as healthy dessert can get. Seriously.
Fudgy, chewy, peanut buttery and mouthwatering… these are HEAVEN.
Oh, be still, my heart!