Healthy Red Wine Ice Cream (To Celebrate My 5th Blogiversary!)
Today is the day that Desserts With Benefits turns FIVE! 5 YEARS OLD!
I can’t believe that I’ve been blogging for that long already. And I just recently posted my 500th post too. Proud mama moment for me right now. So many “life events” for my widdle bloggy (and me) lately. I’ve graduated college, became a dog mom, moved to a new state, and truly begun a new life. I’ve come to a point in time where I need to make some big decisions. BIG life decisions (like possibly getting my own place and a mortgage and real adult stuff like that). More on this another time, though. Because right now, it’s time for Healthy Red Wine Ice Cream.
HEALTHY Red Wine Ice Cream?? Yes, really! This creamy, sweet, alcoholic dessert is all natural, reduced fat and high protein, with no sugar added.
Oh, and did I mention it’s boozy? Like, seriously boozy. You can
probably get drunk off of it.
Because Alcohol + Dessert = BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!
Am I right or am I right?
Yes, Jessica! You are right!
Look at dat! What a beauty.
This Red Wine Ice Cream full of antioxidants, protein, healthy fats, and yummy delicious booze.
(But really now, when you’re
getting drunk off eating this sweet and creamy deliciousness, it’s not like you’ll be focusing on the healthiness of this ice cream anyways).
Healthy Red Wine Ice Cream
- 32 oz Plain, Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 16 oz Half and Half
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 24 oz Your Favorite Pinot Noir! (I used Black Box Wine)
- 1 tbs Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Liquid Stevia Extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
- In a large blender, add the yogurt and half and half. Turn the blender on, and while it's running, slowly add the xanthan gum. Pour the mixture into a large bowl.
- Whisk in the wine, vanilla extract, stevia extract and salt. Mix until the mixture is even and completely smooth.
- Churn according to your ice cream makers' instructions** (I used my KitchenAid Ice Cream attachment). I churned the mixture for about 15-20 minutes, but it never turned into a soft-serve consistency like my normal ice cream recipes do (probably due to the alcohol content). Anyhow, pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze until it has the consistency you like (~4 hours). Serve!
When I was deciding on a wine to use in this ice cream recipe, I chose to use a Pinot Noir. Partly for the lovely color it would add to the ice cream, and partly for its flavor profile. A Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot might taste a little too strong and dry (for me, anyways).
This Healthy Red Wine Ice Cream was MADE for parties and all types of entertaining.
Game time? YES.
BBQs, picnics and potlucks? ABSOLUTELY.
Girl’s night? HELL TO THE YEAAHHH.
It’s really perfect for any on-the-go entertaining this summer.
So, let’s raise a glass to growing up, and a spoonful of ice cream to our faces for coping with all that comes with adulthood. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for DWB’s future. Whatever it is, I hope you LOVE it! 🙂