Healthy Homemade Fig Bars
What’s got a chewy, cakey cookie crust and a soft, sweet, and figgy filling? These Healthy Homemade Fig Bars of course, made with Truvia® Natural Sweetener — my favorite zero-calorie, natural sweetener (it’s made from the stevia leaf)!
This easy Fig Bar recipe is 100% whole grain, gluten free, and vegan, with zero added sugar.
Who needs store-bought when you’ve got these thick and chewy slices of heaven? No one. That’s who. Kids and adults alike will fall in love with these hearty, not-too-sweet, good-for-you treats!
Thanks to Truvia for sponsoring this post, and thank YOU for supporting the brands that keep Desserts With Benefits going! All opinions are mine and mine alone!
These gluten-free Fig Bars are actually very simple to make, despite looking like they took hours and hours to make. After preparing the Fig Jam (and scooping a big spoonful into your mouth for… quality assurance 😉 ) — all you need to do is mix and roll out the dough, spoon the jam on top, roll it into a log, slice, and bake! Easy peasy figgy squeezy.
Right after baking, these Fig Bars are pretty firm. But after spending a night in a sealed container, DANG MA, they’re super soft and chewy and TO. DIE. FOR.
This Fig Bar recipe is better than store-bought! Best of all, you’d never know these large and hearty figgy slices are healthy, gluten free, and vegan, with no sugar added!
Healthy Homemade Fig Bars
Homemade Fig Jam:
- 3 cups (15oz) Dried Figs
- 1 tbs Truvia Spoonable
- juice of 1 Orange
- 1 cup Water
- 240g (2 cups) Oat Flour
- 3 tbs Truvia Spoonable
- 1 tsp Double Acting Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 tbs Coconut Oil (melted; +1 tsp for brushing after baking)
- 2½ tbs Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Homemade Fig Jam (recipe above)
For the Homemade Fig Jam:
- In a small saucepan (use a wide and shallow one, not a tall and narrow one), add the dried figs, Truvia, orange juice, and water. Let soak for 1 hour.
- Cover with a lid and place the saucepan over medium heat. Keeping cover on, cook for ~20 minutes, or until the figs are super soft and can be easily mushed with a fork. Let cool completely.
- Blend in a high speed blender (I used my Vitamix) until a spreadable paste.
For the Fig Bars:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the oat flour, Truvia, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, the melted 2 tbs of coconut oil, water, and vanilla extract. Dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir together until it forms a thick dough. Roll the dough out between two silicone baking sheets until ¼” thick. Slice into a large rectangle (about 8” x 18” long).
- Spread the fig jam in a center line down the dough rectangle.
- Fold the dough over the fig filling like a pamphlet. Start by lifting one side of the silicone baking sheet, gently pressing on it so the dough sticks to the fig filling, then repeat on the other side.
- Flip the Fig Bar “log” so the seam side is down, then slice. Place the silicone baking sheet on a cookie sheet and space the Fig Bars apart a couple inches or so. Bake for 12 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven and brush the melted 1 tsp of coconut oil on top of the bars. Let cool, then store in a tightly sealed container overnight so they can soften. Enjoy the following day!
To make these gluten-free, I used a base of oat flour, bound together with a little bit of applesauce, coconut oil, and water, and lightly sweetened with Truvia. To make the Homemade Fig Jam, all you need are 3 ingredients: figs, orange juice, and Truvia!
I’ve been using Truvia for years now. I think I first discovered it in college when I switched from those overly sweetened flavored yogurts to plain yogurt. I missed the sweetness of the flavored yogurts, though, so I started adding a couple packets of Truvia to my plain yogurt and BOOM! I found love 🙂
The ingredient list for these Healthy Homemade Fig Bars is way better than the store-bought version. It’s about time this classic pantry staple has been made better! No need for the added sugars, preservatives, artificial flavors, or unnecessary ingredients here. Every bite of these bars will bring you back to the old days 🙂
With love and good eats,