Jan 5, 2013
Healthy Fudgy Brownie Cookies
I’m sure that after reading the word “quinoa,” your stomach isn’t growling for an entire batch of these. But trust me, these brownie cookies are deeelicious (c’mon, have some faith in me)
These are like brownies but in cookie form. Sweet, rich, fudgy and packed with chocolate flavor. But they are soft and light, rather than dense and heavy like regular brownies.
Oh, and the best part? They melt in your mouth!
No, wait… I think the best part is that they are actually good for you, but don’t taste like it at all. These brownie cookies are low fat and have fiber and protein (unlike the cookies you’d find at a bakery!)
Healthy Fudgy Brownie Cookies (sugar free, gluten free, vegan)
- 46g (3 tbs + 1 tsp) Coconut Oil
- 46g (3 tbs) Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Stevia Extract
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 96g (1/2 cup) Granulated Erythritol (or dry sweetener of choice)
- 40g (1/2 cup) Unsweetened Regular Cocoa Powder
- 136g (1 cup) Quinoa Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, add the coconut oil, applesauce and almond milk. Microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring between each one, until coconut is melted. Stir in the stevia and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together the erythritol and cocoa.
- In another small bowl, stir together the quinoa flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the liquid microwaved mixture to the erythritol/cocoa bowl and stir together. Slowly stir in the quinoa flour mixture (it should look like a brownie batter rather than cookie dough).
- Drop neat/circular spoonfuls of the batter onto the prepared cookie sheet about 2" apart (they don't spread much) and bake for ~10-11 minutes, or until surface springs back when tapped. Slide cookies off the cookie sheet and onto a wire cooling rack and let cool slightly.
TIghtly wrap any leftover cookies and leave at room temp.
This recipe is: sugar free, low fat, gluten free, vegan!
Recipe adapted from: Chocolate Quinoa Crackers
Despite how strong and bitter quinoa flour smells, these cookies are 100% sweet deliciousness. I couldn’t detect the quinoa at all!