[A Red, White & Blue Dessert!] Healthy Single-Serving Red Velvet Microwave Cake with White Cream Cheese Frosting and Blue Blueberry Drizzle
Happy July 4th y’all!
Now, get ready for the best red, white & blue dessert ever. It’s a GIANT Red Velvet Microwave Cake topped with a delicious Cream Cheese Frosting and a sweet Blueberry Drizzle.
The Red Velvet Cupcake is sweet, soft, and moist, it’s hard to believe it’s gluten-free, sugar-free, high-fiber and high-protein.
The Cream Cheese Frosting is rich, creamy and slightly tangy. And it’s sugar-free and low-fat!
The Blueberry Drizzle just tops off the entire dish. While it’s refined-sugar-free, it’s definitely not flavor-free. I like how it’s not overpoweringly blueberryish so you can focus on that hint-of-cocoa-cake and oh-so-good-how-can-this-be-guilt-free-frosting
Overall, this recipe can be adapted pretty easily. Maybe not the cake so much, because that took a few trial and errors to get just right, but you could change up the frosting and toppings all you want!
In the Cream Cheese Frosting, you can:
- Add 1/8 tsp of vanilla paste for some extra flavor and vanilla bean speckles
- Add 1 more packet of Truvia if it isn’t sweet enough for you
- Or replace the Truvia with ~10 drops of vanilla-flavored stevia extract
For the Blueberry Drizzle, you can:
- Increase amount to 1 tbs
- Use a different flavor, such as grape or blackberry… anything blue(ish)!
- Or replace the jam with a handful of fresh, whole blueberries on top of the frosting
So, if you’re craving cake but don’t want to heat up the oven, or if you’re just short on time, then make this Healthy Red, White & Blue Dessert! It takes just a few minutes to make and a few minutes to “bake,” you’ll be on your way to dessert heaven in no time at all.
1 HUGE Cake
Healthy Single-Serving Red Velvet Microwave Cake with White Cream Cheese Frosting and Blue Blueberry Drizzle
Red Velvet Cake:(Here's a Vegan Red Velvet Cake option)
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 63g (1/4 cup) Roasted Beet Puree (see Directions)
- 1 Large Organic Egg White
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Natural Butter Flavor
- 51g (6 tbs) Sweet White Sorghum Flour
- 10g (2 tbs) Unsweetened Regular Cocoa Powder
- 4 packets Truvia
- 1 tsp Double-Acting Baking Powder
- 1/16 tsp Salt
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 tbs Plain, Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbs Organic Neufchâtel Cheese, soft
- 1 packet Truvia
- 2 tsp 100% Fruit Blueberry Jam
For the Roasted Beet Puree:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse and gently scrub 1 medium beet, then wrap it in foil.
- Place the beet on a jelly roll pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a fork pierces through the center with ease. Carefully unwrap the beet and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Scrape off the beet skin (it should peel off easily) and chop into chunks. Add the beet chunks to a food processor and purée until completely smooth.
Red Velvet Cake:
- Spray a 4 inch baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the almond milk, beet puree, egg white, vanilla extract and butter flavor.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, cocoa powder, Truvia, baking powder and salt. Dump this over the wet ingredients and whisk together until the batter is smooth and there are no clumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and microwave for about 4 minutes and 20 seconds, or until the surface of the cake springs back when tapped. Let cool while you make the frosting.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cream cheese and Truvia until smooth. Spoon over the cake.
For the Blueberry Drizzle:
- Place the jam in a piping bag or plastic sandwich baggie with a tiny corner snipped off. Drizzle over the frosting. Serve and enjoy!
Here is the recipe’s nutrition label:
Pretty darn good right?? Only 340 calories and 7g fat with 11g fiber and 14g protein!
If you’re wondering what the nutrition label would look like for a typical Red Velvet Microwave Cake, here it is (click to zoom):
EEK. Okay soooo, I vote for the first nutrition label ⇪⇪⇪
Fast and easy Gluten-Free Red Velvet Cake for one? Yes. Please.
faster just as fast as you made it!