Jul 18, 2014
Healthy Lemon Sugar Cookies
Would you ever guess that these thick, soft and chewy Gluten-Free Lemon Sugar Cookies are healthy?? Well, all I know is that after one bite you sure won’t believe that they’re actually guilt-free and totally nutritious.
These cookies are packed with fresh lemon flavor, but without the butter, sugar and refined white flour!
These are THE cookies for the lemon lovers out there! Perfectly sweet and oh so soft… not dry at all, not hard as a rock, and certainly not crumbly like many other gluten-free cookies.
Healthy Gluten Free Lemon Sugar Cookies (made sugar free & low fat)
These soft and sweet, gluten-free Lemon Sugar Cookies are packed with fresh lemon flavor (and a secret ingredient!), but without the butter, sugar and white flour!
- 136g (1 cup) Sweet White Sorghum Flour
- 2 tsp Double-Acting Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- one 15oz can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed well (weighed 278g after rinsing)
- 123g (1/2 cup) Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 144g (3/4 cup) Organic Stevia Mix**
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Butter Flavor
- 1 heaping tbs Organic Lemon Zest (don't pack it)
- Natural Yellow Food Coloring (I used ~1/2 tsp of India Tree's food coloring, just enough to make the dough yellow)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two cookie sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the beans, applesauce, almond milk and stevia until completely smooth.
- Scoop the puree into a large bowl (scrape out every last bit!). Whisk in the vanilla extract, butter extract, lemon zest and food coloring.
- Dump the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and whisk together. The dough should be more like a muffin batter... but really kind of like mashed potatoes. This is normal!
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheets and tap them into cookies with clean fingers. Bake for 11-14 minutes, or until the center of the cookies indent just barely when you tap them.
- Let the cookies cool slightly, then serve immediately! If not serving right away, store the cookies in an airtight container.
**I bought a bag of Earth's Pride Organics Organic Stevia at BJ's Wholesale. It's a mix of Erythritol and Stevia Extract (both organic and non-GMO) and is 2x as sweet as sugar so sugar will not substitute. An alternative is Truvia spoonable.
This recipe is: sugar free, low fat, eggless, gluten free, vegan!
Here is a nutrition label comparison between Food Network’s Lemon Sugar Cookies recipe and my Healthy Gluten Free Lemon Sugar Cookies:
(Food Network’s nutrition label is on the left, Desserts with Benefits nutrition label is on the right)
I think it suffices to say that I am pleasantly surprised at my recipe’s nutrition label (especially compared to the label on the left)
Compared to 2 Food Network cookies, 2 of my healthified Gluten Free Lemon Sugar Cookies have:
- 110 less calories
- 13.g less fat
- NO saturated fat
- NO cholesterol
- NO added sugar
- 4g fiber
- 4g protein
I mean, I know I am totally bias toward my own recipe, but I think we can all agree that my recipe is healthier than Food Network’s recipe. And my cookies are just as delicious
These Healthy Gluten Free Lemon Sugar Cookies are buttery, rich and 100% addicting.
Each bite is like an explosion of lemon flavor!
You’ve gotta make these cookies — they’re delicious, jumbo-sized and secretly healthy