Jun 9, 2012
Healthy Peanut Butter and Jelly Shortbread Bars
While PB&J sandwiches are great, these Healthy Peanut Butter and Jelly Shortbread Bars are even better. Before these I’m sure we all thought, as IF a peanut butter and jelly sandwich could get any better!
But that, my friend, has changed and changed for good… One bite of these, and you’ll never go back to the stuff with bread.
Sweet and salty, chewy and satisfying, warming and comforting. Just like the sandwich.
Healthy and naturally sweetened, rich and decadent, full of fiber and protein. Not so much like the sandwich.
These bars have something to brag about, just check out the nutrition label below!
With only 9 ingredients, these simple and easy-to-make bars will please all, kids and adults alike, not only from the taste but from its happy, humble ingredient list!
Healthy Peanut Butter and Jelly Shortbread Bars (gluten free, no bake, high protein)
For the Shortbread Base:
- Line an 8" brownie pan with parchment paper both ways and set aside.
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a microwave-safe bowl, add the coconut butter and agave and microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring between each one, until smooth and runny. Stir in butter extract and pour over dry ingredients. Stir until combined/moistened. Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture by packing it into a measuring cup. Scoop the rest into the prepared pan and flatten. Refrigerate while you make the filling.
For the PB Filling, Jelly and Crumble:
- Add the protein powder to a medium-sized mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the agave/honey/maple syrup, molasses and peanut butter. Pour over the protein powder and fold with a rubber spatula. Mixture is ready when it can form into a dough ball. Scoop this onto the crust and flatten.
- Spread the jam over the PB layer.
- Put the reserved crust mixture in a clean bowl and crumble it with your fingers, sprinkle evenly over the jam. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours then slice and serve!
**The oat flour measured 1.5 cups after blending
This recipe is: no bake, high protein, refined sugar free and gluten free!
I tried to keep the recipe moderate in fat and high in protein (success!) since I was making them for my dad to bring to work for his coworkers (aka, health nuts and workout maniacs). After bringing these and these, they are always asking him to bring in my healthified desserts!
Edit: healthified desserts with peanut butter.
Who knew a bunch of businessmen and women had such sweet teeth??