Aug 8, 2011
Healthy Raisin Bran Muffins
I’m pretty sure the words that popped into your head didn’t include: moist, flavorful, enticing…
now did they? Well… they will now!
In honor of my grandfather visiting to see me go off to my sophomore year of college, I made these bran muffins for him! I could sense that the store-bought bran muffins weren’t pleasurable to eat, and I just knew that he never looked forward to eating that Fiber1 Original Bran Cereal every morning.
Fiber One: Cardboard, yes. Delicious, no.
Raisin Bran Muffins: Cardboard, no. Delicious… HECK YES!
These would serve as a perfect breakfast. They contain satiating protein, healthy fats, and filling fiber. Plus, they are low-glycemic! My grandpa loves how these muffins don’t leave your fingers all oily and greasy like the store-bought muffins will do. Compared to the store-bought varieties, these Raisin Bran Muffins have less fat, more fiber, more protein, and a nutritious, recognizable ingredient list.
Here are the nutrition facts for one jumbo muffin:
- 144g (1+1/2 cups) Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 120g (1 cup) Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 75g (1+1/4 cup) Wheat Bran
- 20g (1/4 cup) Whey Protein Concentrate
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1+1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Unsweetened Soymilk
- 246g (1 cup) Unsweetened Applesauce
- 105g (5 tbs) Honey
- 42g (2 tbs) Molasses
- 14g (2 tbs) Ground Flaxseed
- 14g (1 tbs) Grapeseed Oil (or any other neutral oil)
- 7g (1 tbs) Egg Replacer (no water!)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Hazelnut Extract (or more vanilla)
- 1 tsp Stevia Extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 6-muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Measure all the dry ingredients and whisk together in a large bowl
- Measure all the wet ingredients and pour into the large bowl with the dry ingredients, fold until just mixed (don't overmix!). The mixture should look like there is too much liquid.
- Pour the batter evenly into each prepared tin and bake for ~40 minutes, or until the tops have browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
Store in an airtight container otherwise they will dry out!
This recipe is: low fat, high fiber, high protein!
Happy baking! If you weren’t “regular” before, you will be now! 😉