Sep 6, 2013
Healthy Lemon Frozen Yogurt
A few months ago when my sister graduated from university I (gladly) agreed to watch two entire seasons of Scandal with her… on the couch… in four days. I am so ashamed to say that, but I actually got a lot of work done during so I don’t feel too bad about it. The point of me telling you that (embarrassing) story, is that the commercials we saw inspired this recipe.
You know how Hulu requires you to watch a couple commercials a few times throughout every episode? Well, Haagen Dazs clearly paid Hulu bank for their commercials. For two weeks straight my sister and I were repeating, “Cap-uu-ciiii-no,” and “Liiii-mon-cellll-o,” to each other.
Totally annoying, but catchy. And I just saw the commercial a week ago and it reminded me of that glorious 4-day TV marathon 🙂 And it also made me want Limoncello. Ice cream, I mean. So I made a batch of healthy Lemon Frozen Yogurt! Super creamy, super lemony, super satisfying. This is the perfect fro yo to have on hand after a hot day, after a long day, or at any time of day really 🙂
Healthy Lemon Greek Frozen Yogurt
- 32oz Plain, Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 5 tbs Limoncello* (you can try Homemade Limoncello too!)
- 2 tsp Stevia Extract
- 1 tsp Lemon Flavor
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Natural Butter Flavor
- 20 drops Natural Orange Food Coloring
- 24g (3 tbs) Organic Corn Starch
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Freeze your ice cream maker bowl for 24+ hours (I used my Cuisinart)
- In a stand mixer bowl with whisk attachment, add the yogurt, limoncello, stevia extract, lemon flavor, vanilla extract, butter extract, orange food coloring. Whisk on low.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixing stand mixer and whisk on medium/high speed for ~30 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and whisk again for ~30 seconds. Take whisk attachment off stand mixer and place inside the bowl. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Reattach the whisk onto the stand mixer and whisk mixture on medium/low speed for ~30 seconds.
- Place frozen ice cream bowl onto the ice cream machine and turn the machine on.
- Scoop the mixture into the spinning ice cream bowl and churn for 10-12 minutes.
- Scoop the ice cream into a freezer-proof container and freeze for 1.5-2 hours.
- Scoop into bowls and serve!
*You can use vodka instead of the Limoncello if you like, just increase the lemon flavor (to taste)
This recipe is: low fat, low sugar, high protein, gluten free!
I compared the nutrition label of this Healthy Lemon Greek Yogurt with the Haagen Dazs Limoncello gelato, and what a difference! My Lemon Frozen Yogurt has 130 less calories, 19g less sugar, 7g more protein and zero fat! Plus, my recipe doesn’t contain any heavy cream, sugar, corn syrup and egg yolks like the Haagen Dazs version.
Mmmm so good. I’ll take both cups please 🙂