Healthy Gluten-Free Waffles
Craving some waffles but don’t want all the butter, refined sugar and bleached flour? Then make these Healthy Gluten-Free Waffles! They’re incredibly soft, moist, and sweet, you’d never know they’re all natural, sugar free, low carb, low fat, high fiber, high protein, and paleo too!
I got an email last month from Tamara asking me to healthify Belgium Liege Waffles.
I tried. I failed.
BUT I made these delicious Belgium Liege Waffle “wannabes” along the way. They are SO GOOD that I had to post the recipe. Sorry, Tamara, but I hope these waffles will do!
Healthy Gluten-Free Waffles
- 1½ tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (room temp)
- 138g (½ cup + 1 tbs) Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Natural Butter Flavor
- 1 tsp Liquid Stevia Extract
- 112g (1 cup) Coconut Flour
- 144g (¾ cup) Granulated Erythritol (divided)
- 1 tbs Homemade Metamucil
- 1 tsp Double-Acting Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yeast, almond milk and applesauce. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the egg, vanilla extract, butter extract and stevia extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, ¼ cup of the erythritol, metamucil, baking powder and salt. Dump into the large bowl and fold together (fold dough for 5 minutes).
- Form the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for 1 hour (I used a warming drawer set to 90 degrees).
- Fold in the remaining ½ cup of erythritol and mix well.
- Divide the dough into 3 and shape into balls. Cover and let rise for 40 minutes in a warm place (I used the warming drawer again).
- Preheat your waffle iron to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. When iron is hot, press a dough ball in the center of the iron and shut to close (my waffle iron cooked the waffles in 5-7 minutes. I open the waffle maker a crack at around 4 minutes to let some heat out and check on the doneness of the waffles).
- Carefully remove the waffle from the iron (FYI, the waffles will be really delicate when they're hot in the waffle maker. I couldn't get the waffles out as a whole so I took them out as quarters). Spray the iron with cooking spray again and cook the rest of the waffle dough.
- Serve immediately with fresh fruit, mini dark chocolate chips, all natural whipped cream (I use Soyatoo Rice Whip) and/or pure maple syrup!
I’m pleasantly surprised! These super indulgent breakfast treats are actually nutritionally balanced with healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, fiber and protein… the complete opposite of what you’d find from boxed waffles sitting in the frozen aisle or waffles from fast-food restaurants like IHOP. My healthified waffles are just as soft and fluffy, moist and buttery, and rich and satisfying as typical unhealthy waffles just without all the bleached white flour, hydrogenated oils/trans fats and refined white sugar.
Just to prove to you guys how different two waffles (of equal deliciousness!) can be, I also made a nutrition label for IHOP’s Belgian Waffles for comparison. Compared to one IHOP’s waffle, one of my healthy waffles has:
- 150 less calories
- 14g less fat (plus 6.5g less saturated fat!)
- ZERO trans fats
- 15g more fiber
- 4g more protein
See? A nutritionally balanced breakfast, lunch, snack, dessert… and maybe dinner too? I meeeeeeeaan, why not? 😉
Seriously. Why not?
With love and good eats,