Jul 30, 2013
Healthy S’mores Bars
Please don’t hate me, but I have never been a fan of s’mores…
Oh good, you didn’t (virtually) punch me. But I’ll explain!
The graham crackers are just too big and crunchy that they fall apart when you take a bite. The marshmallows squish out of the “sandwich” and plop onto the ground (or if you’re like me, the mallows catch on fire before they even make it to the next step). Then the chocolate melts all over your fingers, which is a waste, because it belongs in your mouth.
So I made S’mores Bars… a graham cracker crust that stays together when you bite it, a marshmallow filling that is firm yet chewy and a chocolate topping that is rich and decadent.
Everyone loved these S’mores Bars. We all appreciated the fact that we could enjoy the s’mores flavor indoors
(no need to worry about fire!), and we all liked how healthy they were. Storebought graham crackers are made with bleached flour, storebought marshmallows contain high fructose corn syrup, and typical chocolate bars are packed with extra sugar. I made these Healthy S’mores Bars with homemade graham crackers
, homemade marshmallow and dark chocolate.
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1+1/2c Graham Cracker Crumbs (I used homemade graham crackers)
- 42g (3 tbs) Coconut Oil
- 1 tbs Unsweetened Almond Milk (or more oil)
- 1 tsp Butter Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 168g (1/2 cup) Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 packets Knox Unflavored Gelatin
- 90g (6 tbs) Cold Water
- 1 tbs Light Coconut Milk
- 1 tbs Coconut Oil
- 1.5oz Dark Chocolate
For the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8 inch brownie pan with parchment paper both ways.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the oil, almond milk, butter extract and salt. Microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring between each one, until melted.
- Stir in the graham cracker crumbs.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan and press firmly. Bake for 10 minutes, then let cool on the counter completely.
For the Marshmallow Layer:
- Add the maple syrup and salt to a stand mixer bowl with whisk attachment.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the gelatin and water. Microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring between each one, until the gelatin dissolves.
- Turn the mixer on medium speed and slowly add the gelatin mixture. Whip on high speed for ~12 minutes, or until white, thick and glossy.
- Scoop mixture over the cooled graham cracker crust (there will be some extra marshmallow mixture leftover, I just spooned it onto a sheet of parchment paper freeform) and let sit overnight.
For the Chocolate Ganache: (I sliced the bars first and then spread on the chocolate, but I think the method below would be better)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the coconut milk and coconut oil. Microwave at 15-second intervals, stirring between each one, until melted.
- Add the chocolate and microwave again at 15-second intervals.
- Let cool until just slightly warm then pour/spread over the marshmallow layer. Slice and serve!
This recipe is: eggless, low sugar, gluten free!
One bite and you won’t be able to resist another!