Healthy Homemade Churros
I don’t think the words “healthy” and “churros” have ever gone into the same sentence before today, but alas my fellow health-seeking friends… Healthy Homemade Churros finally exist!
And no need for the deep fryer and gallons of drying oil!
These churros aren’t made with processed and bleached white flour, they are 100% whole grain (and gluten free too)!
These aren’t packed with refined sugar and hormone-filled butter either, they are low in sugar and free of butter.
Nor are these churros fried in sizzling hot oil (which destroys nutrients, eliminates delicate vitamins, yada yada yada), these babies are baked in the oven!
Healthy Homemade Churros
- 210g (1¾ cups) Oat Flour
- ¼ cup Sucanat (or dry sweetener of choice)
- 1 tbs Ground Flaxseed
- 2 tsp Double-Acting Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 60g (5 tbs) NON-Hydrogenated Shortening
- 2 tsp Vanilla Paste (I used homemade!)
- 2 tsp Liquid Stevia Extract
- 2 tsp Natural Butter Flavor
- 6 tbs Homemade Vanilla Sugar (or dry sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbs Coconut Oil (melted)
- Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats and prepare a pastry bag with a piping tip (use the one that looks like shark teeth, like ^^^^^^).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oat flour, sucanat, flax, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the almond milk, shortening, vanilla paste, stevia extract, and butter flavor. Stir with a rubber spatula over medium/low heat until shortening is completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the dry ingredients from the small bowl into the saucepan. Stir together. When all is incorporated, place the pan back over the heat and stir with the spatula until thick and it forms a ball (takes ~8 minutes).
- Scoop the dough into the prepared piping bag and pipe long churros out onto cookie sheets (use an oven mit if the bag is too hot for you to handle). Bake for ~12-13 minutes. Carefully transfer the silicone baking mats off the hot baking sheets and onto the counter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla sugar and cinnamon. Brush the melted coconut oil over the churros and sprinkle on the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Let cool, serve, and enjoy!
If you have ever seen a nutrition label for typical churros, you will appreciate how much better the DWB nutrition label is. Only 230 calories and 7g of sugar, plus the benefits of 3g of fiber, 5g of protein, healthy fats and whole grains!
Sweet teeth, rejoice!
With love and good eats,