Healthy Scotcheroos (Peanut Butter Butterscotch Krispy Treats with Dark Chocolate!)
I absolutely love butterscotch flavor, it’s so intense, warming, and rich, it’s the perfect match for peanut butter and decadent chocolate, yes? Yes. These Healthy Scotcheroos have got it all: peanut butter, butterscotch, and dark chocolate. They’re unbelievably sophisticated and unique, and of course, 100% addicting. It’s hard to stop at one! With every bite it feels like you’re cheating on your diet, when really, you’re not. These are some treats you can feel good about eating. They’re low sugar, high protein, and gluten free, but you’d never know it!
These Healthy Scotcheroos are nothing like those marshmallow treats prepackaged in bright blue plastic at the grocery store. These are some stunning, fancy-looking treats. Everyone is in awe when I gift these away. They look like they’re from a fancy bakery, not homemade. And after a bite, everyone is usually in a state of shock.
They look and taste so unhealthy when they’re actually secretly good for you. It’s hard to believe.
They’re sweet from the butterscotch, rich from the peanut butter, and indulgent from the dark chocolate topping. These are simply gratifying.
FOR THE SCOTCHEROOS:
- Line an 8x8” brownie pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the crispy brown rice cereal.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, stir together the honey, peanut butter, butterscotch avor and salt. Microwave at 10-second intervals, stirring between each one, until the mixture is runny. Stir in the protein powder.
- Fold in the rice cereal. When everything is fully incorporated, scoop the mixture into the brownie pan and atten it out with the silicone spatula. Be sure to press it down so you get a nice and compact cereal treat.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING:
- Pour the melted chocolate over the base and tilt the pan around until the chocolate covers the entire surface. Tap the pan on the counter to set the chocolate and get rid of any air bubbles. Refrigerate until rm (~1 hour).
- Lift the mixture out of the pan. Slice into 15 bars (5 slices x 3 slices). Store in a tightly sealed container in the fridge with each treat placed on a square of parchment paper to prevent them from sticking (keeps for ~1 week).
Recipe republished with permission from the Naughty or Nice Cookbook!
Eat protein bars.
With love and good eats,