Oct 11, 2013
Healthy Homemade Churros
I don’t think the words “healthy” and “churros” have ever gone into the same sentence before today, but alas my fellow health-seeking friends… healthy homemade churros finally exist!
(and no deep fryer or gallon of oil needed)
Looky here ^^ super soft and moist on the inside.
^^ And with that wonderful crunchy, “sugary” sweet coating reminiscent of real churros.
These churros aren’t made with processed and bleached white flour, they are 100% whole grain (and gluten free too)!
These aren’t packed with refined sugar and hormone-filled butter either, they are low in sugar and free of butter.
Nor are these churros fried in sizzling hot oil (which destroys nutrients, eliminates delicate vitamins, yada yada yada), these babies are baked in the oven!
Healthy Homemade Churros (baked, not fried!)
- Line two cookie sheets with Silpats and prepare a pastry bag with a piping tip (use the one that looks like shark teeth, like this: ^^^^^^)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oat flour, sucanat, flax, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium-sized pot, add the almond milk, shortening, vanilla paste and extracts. Stir with a rubber spatula over medium/low heat until shortening is completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the pot with the almond milk/shortening.
- When all is incorporated, place the pot back over the heat and stir with the spatula until thick and it forms a ball (should take ~8 minutes)
- Scoop the dough into the prepared piping bag and pipe long churros out onto cookie sheets (use an oven mit if the bag is too hot for you to handle)
- Bake the piped churros for ~12-13 minutes.
- While the churros are being baked, whisk together the vanilla sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- When you take the churros out of the oven, carefully transfer the Silpats off the hot baking sheet and onto the counter.
- Brush the liquid coconut oil over the churros and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
This recipe is: low sugar, eggless, gluten free, vegan!
If you have ever seen a nutrition label for typical churros, you will appreciate how much better the DWB nutrition label is. Only 230 calories and 7g of sugar, plus the benefits of 3g of fiber, 5g of protein, healthy fats and whole grains!
Sweet tooths rejoice.