Nov 20, 2012
Healthy Homemade Gluten-Free and Vegan Graham Crackers
So I made vegan/whole wheat graham crackers, and then I made non-vegan/gluten-free graham crackers… it was time to make vegan and gluten free graham crackers!
I based this recipe off the GF version but replaced the egg with a flax egg. I also removed the xanthan gum, since many people don’t have that ingredient in their pantry, so I was expecting the crackers to crumble and fall apart after baking. To my surprise, these Healthy Homemade Gluten-Free Vegan Graham Crackers were just as sturdy as the previous versions!
Healthy Homemade Gluten-Free Vegan Graham Crackers (low sugar, low fat)
- 1 tbs Ground Flaxseed + 3 tbs Warm Water
- 64g (3 tbs) Pure Maple Syrup
- 43g (2 tbs) Molasses
- 30g (2 tbs) Unsweetened Applesauce
- 14g (1 tbs) Grapeseed Oil (or any other neutral oil)
- 120g (1 cup) Oat Flour
- 120g (3/4 cup) Brown Rice Flour
- 96g (1/2 cup) Granulated Erythritol (or dry sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and tape down a large square of parchment paper onto your counter (I used packing tape)
- In a small bowl, stir together the flax and water, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, molasses, applesauce and oil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the oat flour, brown rice flour, erythritol, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Microwave the flax mixture for 20 seconds, then stir until it forms into a gel. Stir this into the wet ingredients. Dump the dry into the wet and fold together (mixture should be crumbly but moist enough to pack together when pressed)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using your hands, pack the mixture into a ball, place onto the taped down parchment paper and knead until you form a solid ball. Roll the dough to 1/8-1/4" thickness. Use a cookie cutter to form the cracker shapes and transfer to the prepared baking pan about 2" apart.
- Poke holes into the crackers and bake for ~9-11 minutes (Watch them carefully near the end!! I accidentally left a batch in for 13 minutes and they were really brown around the edges, still delicious just not visually appealing). Transfer crackers to a wire cooling rack and snack on them the instant they have completely cooled :)
This recipe is: low fat, low sugar, gluten free, vegan!
Recipe adapted from: GF Graham Crackers
These are some nutrition stats that I am proud of. My vegan and gluten free Graham Crackers are so much better than storebought graham crackers!
These graham cracker bears are delicious with Chocolate Almond Butter
Heads first 😉